You’ve been mulling around the idea of creating a blog for a few weeks now… Great! Not only can a blog be an amazing creative outlet, but it also has the potential to make money and change lives too.
Starting a blog can be daunting if you’ve never done it before, but please try to forget all the negative thoughts you may be thinking like: “there are way more qualified people,” “the market is too saturated,” “no one will ever read my blog,” “I don’t know how,” “I am technically challenged and have no clue what I’m doing!”
Trust me, even the most successful bloggers have all had those thoughts at one point in their life.
If you’ve ever thought about starting your own blog, my advice is to just jump in and DO IT!
The worst thing that can happen is one year from now you look back and regret not doing it in the first place.
So, that being said, I hope you’re hyped….Let’s start a blog!
In order to create your blog, you need 3 basic things:
- Domain Name – this will be the link people type and use to find your blog
- Hosting – the server where all your website files are stored
- Platform – the software you will use to create posts and manage your blog
Start a Blog: your domain name.
That is the URL that will show up at the top of the browser, for example: “bethanyrandall.com”. Most people use the title of their blog as their domain name. You can get a domain name cheap through GoDaddy – but I do NOT recommend using them for hosting.
Step 2 to Start a Blog: let’s set up hosting.
When it comes to hosting your website there are a few things you want: easy set-up, reliability, and fast site speed.
It’s important to choose a host that will meet the needs of your growing blog. There are so many out there to choose from, but lucky for you, I’ve done all the research (and testing) for you.
I have had some really negative experiences from web hosting companies, so trust me when I say, it’s important to invest in a quality web hosting provider that will have your back when you need it!
That is why I exclusively use Siteground for all my client’s and my own websites.
Why SiteGround is my #1 recommendation for web hosts:
Free SSL & HTTPS
30 Days Money Back
Free Email Accounts
Free Daily Backups
& More !
You can get started with SiteGround for $6.99 / month by clicking here.
The reason I LOVE SiteGround, especially for blogging newbies, is how easy it is to get started.
Here is how to set up your SiteGround account:
- Choose Your Plan. If you are just starting out, I recommend the StartUp plan. You can always upgrade later on.
2. Fill out your details
3. Connect your domain name to your hosting account.
4. You’re all set! No hidden fees, charges, or confusing up-sells…it is literally the best! It’s straightforward and QUICK.
After you’ve created your account, you’ll do just three simple things to finish setting up:
- Set up your SSL certificate – keeps your site visitor’s information secure and helps your SEO
- Install WordPress – where you will create blog posts and manage your blog
- Set up your free email – most people want a domain email address like: “[email protected]”…you can set this up inside your account.
Set up SSL certificate (free with Let’s Encrypt) – When you log into your Siteground account, you will see a section called “Extras” on your homepage. Under “SSL”, click “Add”.
Then choose “Let’s Encrypt SSL” and choose your domain name.
Then, install WordPress by following this guide.
Lastly, set up your email forwarders by following this guide.
I hope by now you feel confident enough to make your blogging dreams a reality. Here at TechCreativeCo, we are always rooting for you.
*This post contains affiliate links and we may earn a small commission if you purchase anything through these links. All opinions are our own and remain unbiased.